Intern - Engineer / Scientist
The position is responsible for supporting activities performed in support of Research & Technology, Competitive Testing and/or franchise related projects. Responsible for maintaining a productive laboratory workspace, including housekeeping, stocking, equipment calibration, and insuring compliance with appropriate regulations and SOPs. Responsible for accurately and conscientiously performing and documenting in vitro and pre-clinical experiments as directed. Assistance with protocol and assay methods development, data entry and reporting in support of these activities is also required.
Principle Responsibilities: (essential job duties and responsibilities)
- Interact with internal resources such as lead scientists, program managements, project scientists, engineers and technicians to ensure timely and quality completion of projects.
- Work with principal investigators to ensure protocols are properly understood and performed
- Performs and properly documents experiments in biology, biochemistry, biomaterials, material science, mechanics, electronics, and chemistry according to the specific protocol and role.
- Makes and records observations; performs simple calculations; and collects and prepares data for evaluation.
- Performs associated data entry and compilation.
- Conducts laboratory support functions such as ordering, stocking and distributing supplies and equipment; arranging and dismantling apparatus; and collecting, washing, and storing glassware.
- Performs technical and record keeping duties in conformance with company and regulatory policies and standards to meet quality and accuracy requirements. This includes ensures equipment is properly documented and calibrated.
- Provides support to maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment and maintains calibration records.
- Properly support experiments by performing a variety of technical procedures such as preparing routine solutions and reagents, ensuring availability of necessary supplies, equipment, etc.
- Performs quality control of entered data and compiled charts, graphs and tables.
- Responsible for associated literature retrieval, and maintaining appropriate files
- Filing and archiving of study documentation and samples.
- Interact with external resources such as vendors, suppliers contract scientists, specialist and technicians as required
- Participates in any and all reasonable work activities as may be deemed suitable and assigned by management.
- Conforms to, supports and enforces all Company policies and procedures
Skills and Experiences:
- Minimum two years of study towards a Bachelors or Associates degree in biological sciences; chemistry, engineering or related science
- Self-starter, well organized and detailed oriented
- Ability to deal effectively with all employees and external business contacts while conveying a positive, service oriented attitude.
- Familairity with laboratory safety protocols and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Command of computer applications for documentation and data management (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.). Experience with graphing and statistical packages, Adobe Photoshop, Sigma Scan, and Image Pro a plus.