Principal Data Engineer
The ideal candidate is a technical leader responsible for the successful delivery of “ready-to-use” data for Business Intelligence and Data Science. The candidate is experienced in data architecture, data visualization and communication, ETL layers, and performance tuning. With an emphasis on effective collaboration with key stakeholders, the Principal Data Engineer is responsible for the assessment of business requirements, collection and identification of technical specifications, and the subsequent development of technical solutions. A deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) activities specific to data integration and analytics is key to this position. The ability to work independently and learn quickly is essential. In addition, the Principal Data Analytics Engineer works collaboratively with the analyst team to create standards and best practices for BI and data science solutions.
Primary Duties / Responsibilities
Hands-on execution as well as leadership of the following:
- Develop and apply a structured architectural approach and methodology that aligns with the key strategies of the organization to support BI and data science
- Develop and maintain data integration solutions (including ETL design and architecture), semantic layer objects, and presentation object for delivery of BI and data science solutions
- Develop technology specifications and ensure that any new technology solutions are optimal for meeting needs; leverage existing technologies when possible
- Apply architectural and engineering concepts to implement a solution that meets operational requirements while maintaining sustainability objectives, including: scalability, maintainability, security, reliability, extensibility, flexibility, availability, and manageability
- Create and tune SQL for views across federated sources such as Hadoop and Oracle
- Collaborate with BI report developers on design for optimal performance
- Assist on data analytics projects involving data modeling and architecture
- Assist on building integration with other data / metadata tools in the architecture
- Assist on database administration tasks for the data virtualization platform
- Use business requirements to document clear and concise technical designs
- Maintain design and naming standards
- Contribute to project planning discussions, provide status updates for development progress and be a critical resource for issue resolution
- Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field. Equivalent experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 10+ years of designing and supporting BI and data science solutions, preferably in the healthcare industry. This should include application of knowledge in statistics, data wrangling, and data visualization & communication.
- 10+ years of experience in database development and tools. Ideally this includes: ETL, data modeling, complex queries, performance tuning, and stored procedures/functions
- 10+ years of SQL on Hadoop (Hive or Impala preferred)
- Excellent development and testing skills (including test planning and execution).
- Experience in delivering solutions using Agile (traditional and SAFe) and supporting tools like Jira
- Familiarity with web services, APIs and related architectures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Life Sciences data model is a plus
- Experience with BI tools like Tableau, Lightning/Einstein and PowerBI is a plus
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) business processes/systems (specifically Salesforce) is a plus